OK, maybe we’re guilty of using a little hyperbole. 1984 is, however, a year of huge stars, big sounds, and even bigger songs.
In this episode of Hall of Songs, Tim and Chris select their top-12 from this year, and you’ll get huge names like Bruce, the highest of NRG, and one dominant force whose fingerprints are all over this year.
After listening to Tim and Chris, VOTE for the greatest songs of all time! Songs from 1984, plus tunes from 1983, ’82 and ’81 are up for a shot to make the Hall of Songs! Vote now at hallofsongs.com and come back on July 8, 2022, to find out which song or songs get in!
Our 1984 nominees (spoilers below; highlight to reveal):
- “What’s Love Got to Do With It” as performed by Tina Turner
- Written by Terry Britten and Graham Lyle; recorded fall 1983; released May 1984
- “The Glamorous Life” as performed by Sheila E.
- Written by Prince; recorded early 1984; released May 1984
- “Dancing in the Dark” as performed by Bruce Springsteen
- Written by Bruce Springsteen; recorded February 1984; released May 1984
- “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” as performed by Wham!
- Written by George Michael; recorded February 1984; released May 1984
- “When Doves Cry” as performed by Prince
- Written by Prince; recorded March 1984; released May 1984
- “Purple Rain” as performed by Prince
- Written by Prince; recorded August 1983; released June 1984
- “Smooth Operator” as performed by Sade
- Written by Sade Adu and Ray St. John; recorded ;ate 1983; released July 1984
- “Fade to Black” as performed by Metallica
- Written by Cliff Burton, James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett; recorded February 1984; released July 1984
- “I Feel For You” as performed by Chaka Khan
- Written by Prince; recorded early 1984; released October 1984
- “Unsatisfied” as performed by The Replacements
- Written by Paul Westerberg; recorded late 1983; released October 1984
- “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)” as performed by Dead or Alive
- Written by Pete Burns, Steve Coy, Wayne Hussey, Tim Lever and Mike Percy; recorded July 1984; released November 1984
- “How Soon is Now?” as performed by The Smiths
- Written by Johnny Marr and Morrissey; recorded July 1984; released November 1984
Listen to the full episode for more, and then vote for the songs that you think are the greatest of all-time. Scroll down to vote. Then, come back on July 8, 2022 to find out the voting results, and July 10, 2022 for our discussion on 1984.