A whole lot is happening in 1976 in music, and we at Hall of Songs are here to break it down.
We present our picks for the top-12 songs of a big year where disco peaks, punk breaks out, and Stevie Wonder reigns supreme. You’ll hear the ultimate in classic rock perfection along with the complete destruction of the pop formula.
After listening to Tim and Chris, VOTE for the greatest songs of all time! Songs from 1976, plus tunes from 1975, ’73, ’72, ’71 and ’69 are up for a shot to make the Hall of Songs! Vote now and come back on February 25 to find out which song or songs get in!
Our 1976 nominees:
- “Love Hangover” as performed by Diana Ross
- Written by Marilyn McLeod and Pamela Sawyer; recorded late 1975; released February 1976
- “Lowdown” as performed by Boz Scaggs
- Written by Boz Scaggs and David Paich; recorded September 1975; released February 1976
- “Blitzkrieg Bop” as performed by The Ramones
- Written by Tommy Ramone and Dee Dee Ramone; recorded February 1976; released February 1976
- “The Boys Are Back in Town” as performed by Thin Lizzy
- Written by Phil Lynott; recorded December 1975; released April 1976
- “Desperados Under the Eaves” as performed by Warren Zevon
- Written by Warren Zevon; recorded 1975; released May 1976
- “Cherry Bomb” as performed by The Runaways
- Written by Joan Jett and Kim Fowley; recorded 1976; released June 1976
- “Dancing Queen” as performed by ABBA
- Written by Benny Andersson, Bjorn Ulvaeus and Stig Anderson; recorded August 1975; released August 1976
- “More Than a Feeling” as performed by Boston
- Written by Tom Scholz; recorded early 1976; released August 1976
- “Sir Duke” as performed by Stevie Wonder
- Written by Stevie Wonder; recorded 1974-1976; released September 1976
- “As” as performed by Stevie Wonder
- Written by Stevie Wonder; recorded 1974; released September 1976
- “Don’t Leave Me This Way” as performed by Thelma Houston
- Written by Kenneth Gamble, Leon Huff and Cary Gilbert; recorded 1976; released October 1976
- “Anarchy In the U.K.” as performed by Sex Pistols
- Written by Paul Cook, Steve Jones, John Lydon and Glen Matlock; recorded October 1976; released November 1976
Listen to the full episode for more, and then vote for the songs that you think are the greatest of all-time. Scroll down to vote. Then, come back on February 11, 2022 to find out the voting results, and February 13, 2022 for our discussion on 1976.