We’re in a new decade on Hall of Songs, the podcast that attempts to determine the greatest songs of all-time.
1970 brings us new fare from artists we’ve previously featured, like the Beatles and the Jackson 5. It also showcases some new sounds in music, from the bulky heavy rock of Black Sabbath to the rhythmic vibes of Curtis Mayfield.
After listening, VOTE for the greatest songs of all time! Songs from 1970, plus tunes from 1969, ’68, ’67, ’66, and ’65 are up for a shot to make the Hall of Songs! Vote now and come back on November 19 to find out which song or songs get in!
Our 1970 nominees:
- “Fire and Rain” as performed by James Taylor
- Written by James Taylor; recorded December 1969; released February 1970
- “Big Yellow Taxi” as performed by Joni Mitchell
- Written by Joni Mitchell; recorded January 1970; released April 1970
- “Let it Be” as performed by The Beatles
- Written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney; recorded January 1969; released May 1970
- “War” as performed by Edwin Starr
- Written by Barrett Strong and Norman Whitfield; recorded May 1970; released June 1970
- “Ohio” as performed by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
- Written by Neil Young; recorded May 1970; released June 1970
- “Lola” as performed by The Kinks
- Written by Ray Davies; recorded April 1970; released June 1970
- “Paranoid” as performed by Black Sabbath
- Written by Tommy Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward; recorded June 1970; released August 1970
- “I’ll Be There” as performed by The Jackson 5
- Written by Berry Gordy, Bob West, Willie Hutch and Hal Davis; recorded June 1970; released August 1970
- “Iron Man” as performed by Black Sabbath
- Written by Tommy Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward; recorded June 1970; released September 1970
- “Move on Up” as performed by Curtis Mayfield
- Written by Curtis Mayfield; recorded June 1970; released September 1970
- “Sweet Jane” as performed by The Velvet Underground
- Written by Lou Reed; recorded June 1970; released November 1970
- “Layla” as performed by Derek and the Dominos
- Written by Eric Clapton and Jim Gordon; recorded September 1970; released November 1970
Listen to the full episode for more, and then vote for the songs that you think are the greatest of all-time. Scroll down or click here to vote. Then, come back on November 19, 2021 to find out the voting results, and November 21, 2021 for our discussion on 1971.