It’s 1961 and we’re twisting again on Hall of Songs! OK, “Let’s Twist Again” is not one of our 12 nominees from this year, BUT we talk about dance crazes before hopping into the new songs on the ballot.
We get to know some new artists for this episode, including Patsy Cline, Del Shannon, Dion, Dick Dale, and Howlin’ Wolf. Plus, we hear once again from established stars like Roy Orbison and Ben E. Keith (formerly of the Drifters), and the newly discharged Elvis Presley. And we travel back to Motown to find a girl group bursting onto the scene with an exciting song about the U.S. mail.
After listening, VOTE for the greatest songs of all time! Songs from 1961, plus tunes from 1960, ’59, ’58, ’57, and ’55, are up for a shot to make the Hall of Songs! Vote now and come back on July 9 to find out which song or songs get in!
Our 1961 nominees:
- “I Fall to Pieces” as performed by Patsy Cline
- Written by Hank Cochran and Harlan Howard; recorded November 1960; released January 1961
- “Runaway” as performed by Del Shannon
- Written by Del Shannon and Max Crook; recorded January 1961; February 1961
- “Running Scared” as performed by Roy Orbison
- Written by Roy Orbison and Joe Melson; recorded February 1961; released March 1961
- “Stand By Me” as performed by Ben E. Keith
- Written by Ben E. King, Jerry Leiber, and Mike Stoller; recorded October 1960; released April 1961
- “Back Door Man” as performed by Howlin’ Wolf
- Written by Willie Dixon; recorded June 1960; released spring 1961
- “Crying” as performed by Roy Orbison
- Written by Roy Orbison and Joe Melson; recorded June 1961; released July 1961
- “Please Mr. Postman” as performed by The Marvelettes
- Written by Georgia Dobbins, William Garrett, Freddie Gorman, Brian Holland, and Robert Bateman; recorded April 1961; released August 1961
- “Let’s Go Trippin'” as performed by Dick Dale and the Del-Tones
- Written by Dick Dale; recorded summer 1961; released September 1961
- “Runaround Sue” as performed by Dion
- Written by Dion DiMucci and Ernie Maresca; recorded summer 1961; released September 1961
- “Can’t Help Falling in Love” as performed by Elvis Presley
- Written by Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore, and George David Weiss; recorded March 1961; released October 1961
- “Crazy” as performed by Patsy Cline
- Written by Willie Nelson; recorded August 1961; released October 1961
- “The Wanderer” as performed by Dion
- Written by Ernie Maresca; recorded October 1961; released November 1961
Listen to the full episode for more, and then vote for the songs that you think are the greatest of all-time. Scroll down or click here to vote. Then, come back on July 11, 2021, for our discussion on 1962.